Monday, March 17, 2008

Growing food & Nutrition

Following on the heals of my interest in gardening, has grown a strong interest in nutrition and fitness.  They go hand in hand, in my opinion, since most nutrition comes in the form of vegetables that we can grow ourselves.

You always hear people complain that healthy and organic foods are too expensive for the average person to buy on a regular basis.  I've noticed that many of these people complaining have space in their yards to grow their own food.  Imagine if everyone who had the place to do so would give up some of their precious chemically treated green lawn to put in a small garden for a few tomato plants, carrots, lettuce, etc.  They would begin by helping themselves by lowering their own grocery bill and providing nutritious food for their family.  Then I believe you would see the prices of produce in the stores go down because supply would be up and demand would be down.

Currently I am overweight.  A love of food, a vicious sweet tooth, bad genes and a slow metabolism have contributed to my heft.  But the good news is that I am learning and I am making the effort to be a healthy, fit person.  I've lost almost 50 lbs in the past 6 months, but I have a ways to go yet.  I will get there and my garden will help.  I'm so grateful for my garden and my ability to grow vegetables, especially now that I am working towards this healthy goal.  It is nice to be able to walk outside and pick my meal, knowing that I could not make a healthier choice.

No comments: